Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Humbling Encounter

I had a very humbling experience today while doorknocking.

I knocked on a door and was greeted by a lady in her 50s of Middle Eastern descent.  After introducing myself, tears welled in the lady's eyes.

She went on to tell me that she had recently become a Canadian citizen and that this election was the first time in her life that she was allowed to vote. 

Wow.

Impact.

The next few moments consisted of no words, just solemn silence as our tearful eyes met each other in a respectful gaze.  My heart and soul were shaken beyond belief.  I thanked the lady for sharing her story and went on my way, reflecting on the encounter.

I think that sometimes the humanity of elections can be lost in the flashy signs and catchy slogans, the speeches and smear campaigns, and debates and twitter feeds.  Beneath it all, we are incredibly privileged to live in a country in which we have a legitimate right to select who governs us.

So vote.

Vote for a Council that will represent you.  Vote for all those who have perished to protect our right to choose our government.  Vote for those who cannot vote and live in oppression waiting for their time to come.  Vote.

I don't know if this lady will vote for me and that doesn't bother me one bit.  Today she gave me much more than a vote will ever be worth.

I don't know what voter turnout will be as the votes come in on Monday.  But I do know of someone who will be there for the first time, with a tear in her eye and a smile on her face.

Vote.

1 comment:

  1. Great comment and you have run a great campaign. Wouldn't have voted for you in the beginning but ran a great information campaign that was positive and very educated. Voted early and for you today. Congrats and hope all works out.

    ReplyDelete